Date Nights

So a good friend of mine blogged about date nights a few days ago. Her husband and her haven't had a "date night" in a very long time, and they honestly "just don't care to have that". She wanted to know if that was normal. Practically every one of her friends told her that she was perfectly normal for not wanting to leave her child (although many have offered their services for FREE) and spend some time alone with her husband. Me, being the very honest opinionated friend that I am, told her that she was a freak. Not really, but I did try to share with her the importance of a date night.

I explained that I love my daughter and the time I spend with her, as does my husband. However, we also like to rekindle the romance of pre-baby. We like to hold hands across the table and just look into each other's eyes (without being interrupted every 10 seconds to help feed the baby or pick up a spilt sippy cup). We like to take this time to discuss intimate, personal things that don't need to be talked about in front of a child. And while we could discuss all this at home (on the couch watching tv when the ankle biter is in bed, as seems to be the norm with her friends), why? I want to know. Am I the only one who gets excited about dressing up for my man (butterflies included), having him romance me like he did when we were dating? We were a family before our daughter and we will be one when she grows up and leaves. So why not spend some time ALONE and remember why we chose to expand our family in the first place?


However, with so many responses to the contrary, I am beginning to wonder if I am alone in desiring to spend time alone with my husband. Is it selfish of us to desire time away from the child we created? Is it wrong to not spend every precious moment I can with her, knowing she will only be with us a short period of time before moving onto her own things? If I am alone tell me, if you enjoy something special about your date nights, tell me that too. Where do you stand on date nights?

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Hey how are you guys doing? Well to stay on the subject,I definitely think date nights are important.I believe your husband comes first, and if you guys grow apart then you wont have a family at all.Steve and I use to sit on the roof of one of our old apartments when Tyler was a baby and eat our favorite icecream.I want to watch the sunset (in a special place I chose)if its not to cold when he gets home.Once in a while if there is a good movie showing we like to go to the Mansfield drivein.Well hope this helps

Alicia said...

Yep, see, you're still the freak- not me! LoL!

While date nights are important, they are only important for the couple that deems it so. Some people aren't happy until they have their caviar over the glow of candle light- others are happy to have popcorn over the glow of a television- and others find romance somewhere in the middle.

I've come to decide it's all in who you and your spouse are. Each one of us being unique. All ideas of romance are viewed differently with each new couple. So long as there is romance, who's to say it should come in the form of date nights or 7 o'clock bed times for the ankle biters!